the one with whining

If you keep up with me on FB at all, you already know that things have been a bit challenging the last few weeks.  I'm just going to vent a little here.
  • Things with the house selling/buying got all kinds of crazy and got really down to the wire.  I thought I'd be able to have a week or two prior to the closings to just be able to exhale.  Nope.  That last week and a half was spent trying to figure out what to do if one sale didn't happen.  Which one?  It could have been either.  Trying to figure out how to move money around.  How not to kill people if all the work and packing had been for nothing.  To still be in the old house when the baby came.  Hoping the baby didn't come early due to stress.  The thought of two mortgages.  The thought of being homeless.  You get the idea.  And it wasn't just me being pregnant and crazy.  It seemed like at some point any of those scenarios was a possibility.
  • During all that drama I got diagnosed with gestational diabetes.  I didn't have it with my first one and I barely failed the 3-hour test.  Like if one of the time points had been 6 points lower I wouldn't have had to live diabetically for the remainder of the pregnancy.  This means a strict diet, both in what I can eat and when.  And 4 finger pricks each day.  Sometimes I stab my finger and not enough blood comes out or the reading seems wacky high so I have to repeat.  The 4 times is kind of the minimum.  You know, when you're not moving and haven't misplaced your GD supplies.
  • The actual moving day took way longer than anticipated.  The movers were late but that helped me get more packing done.  Nothing like packing while the movers are there.  And they ended up making 2 trips.  Last weekend we got the rest of stuff out of storage so all our stuff is now in one place.
  • Part of the deal when selling the old house was that we leave the refrigerator behind.  I didn't mind.  It wasn't really high-end, was almost 6 years old, and didn't match the appliances in the new kitchen.  Sadly, the new fridge wasn't getting delivered until 4 days after we moved.  Let me just say that's pretty hard on a pregnant diabetic with a toddler.  When the guys came to deliver the washer and dryer, one of them told me that the fridge I ordered wasn't going to fit in our space.  Sigh.  So I did some frantic research and felt very fortunate that I could cancel the old order for free.  And the new, appropriately-sized fridge would only be one day later than I originally anticipated.  Until that fridge arrived.  And it was the wrong color.  And the right color isn't coming until July 2nd. 
  • I also had one last roadtrip for work that began with the world's worst customer service from Enterprise.  Instead of being able to leave the night before, I had to get up at 4:30 and drive to San Antonio the following morning.  Why was I running late?  Because my rental car was 2 hours late, I got a speeding ticket between there and picking the baby up 45 minutes late from daycare, and I picked up a UPS delivery for me that was at the old house (where I cried because I miss that house). 
  • While in San Antonio, I had sudden and crazy foot/ankle swelling.  Since GD and pre-eclampsia are buds, I tried not to freak out that I'd be put on bedrest 4 hours from home.  After elevating my feet in the hotel, I went to the pharmacy to take my BP and it was ok.  Thank goodness.  Then had a 45-minute wait to get a To Go order at Cracker Barrel.  Whatever good the foot elevation had done was now gone.  Crazy foot swelling for the next 3-4 days.
  • Work is nuts this week what with the end of quarter so I'm having to work extra hours.
  • And I woke up this morning with the stomach bug that's been going around.  I had no idea I could get to the floor so fast these days.  And throwing up with big pregnant?  Even less fun.
So, yeah.  Kind of a lot to deal with.  Things that can't so much be delegated like people have suggested.  Things that I can't change.  Things that need to get done in order to make life easier (like, you know, being able to eat).  But just to not be a total Debbie Downer...
  • We sold the house before the baby came.  And the people who bought it love it.  That makes me happy.
  • We bought a house that really is a great blank slate.  I'll be able to do fun things to it.  It will be great for our growing family and for entertaining.
  • We had a really good realtor.  One I could call and say, "WTH?!" and she'd totally commiserate.
  • We have a fantastic support system.  I don't know how we'd have been able to do all this if we didn't have family nearby.  Thank you. 
  • I've been able to manage the GD with diet.  I haven't gained as much weight since starting the GD diet but the baby has been progressing right on track.
  • Everything got moved and we've made a lot of progress regarding getting things put away and organized.
  • The Brother let us borrow their mini fridge.
  • Restaurants will cook food for you.
  • We have a fun new washer and dryer.
  • I'm done with traveling of any kind until after maternity leave.
  • I did not get thrown in jail for interacting poorly with that jackhole cop who gave a crying pregnant woman a ticket on her way to daycare.  (I just didn't talk much at all--figured that was safest.)
  • And I've kept this Sprite and these crackers down for hours.  Oooh, ahhh.  Not exactly diabetic-friendly but I'll worry about that tomorrow.
During all this I missed my blogoversary a few days ago.  I've been at this for 6 years.  So much has changed.  And I missed taking 32-week belly shots and blogging to Buddy Bear.  I'll be 34 weeks tomorrow.  Oh, well.  He might as well learn now that Mama ain't perfect.

Comments

crowd favorites

100 things--thankful

hey, would you like to see the nursery?