Thursday, July 30, 2009
"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.” ―Lao Tzu
Ah, yes. That's a good one. I think I start feeling anxious when I know there will be time to get something done but it's just not RIGHT NOW. When other obligations must be taken care of first...
Now, back to the program. Nine days left, people! Single digits. I think everything will get done but not too far in advance. But, you know, I was thinking about it and I don't think I'd prefer to be done with everything now. I'd be too antsy. Or adding more projects. I must admit I have added a few tiny projects over the last week but they were super quick.
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Here's the suite:
Close up of top of invitation:
RSVP card. We asked folks if they'd like to request a song for the reception. An oddly small percentage actually did. Oh, well. I thought it was fun. Our RSVP date (while it was a Sunday when the postal service doesn't run) was my dad's birthday.
The map, which The Fiance and I both slaved over for way too many hours (but I think is super cute and am really proud of):
The super fancy, faux calligraphy I did plus the lovely wedding cake stamps (Thanks Post Office! I was getting kind of sick of those hearts.):
And all packaged up ready for the mail:
And while we're on paper products, how about a look at the fabulously crafted invitations to our engagement party and two bridal showers? Fun, fun! Nice job, ladies. And see how they kept with our color scheme?
It really has been a super productive last several days. Overall, I'm doing ok. On Sunday I felt like we may actually get everything done that needs to be done... I was getting close to Zen until the ceremony venue lady called this afternoon about my "event next week." Holy crap. Next week. I imagine I'll post a little leading up to it but forgive me if it's light as the house looks like this (actually, the office really isn't too bad but notice that I'm working on two computers simultaneously):
Thursday, July 23, 2009
In addition to meeting with the photographer, I got the bulk of our playlist to the DJ. And met with the reception location people. Seems like things are better there than I dared hope. And I met with my Day of Coordinator aka my MIL-once-removed aka The Brother's MIL. And The Fiance has been in touch with the baker. So, yeah, feeling more organized.
Don't get me wrong. The list is still long but I'm only out of town one more day for work before the wedding. That could not make me happier.
Not wedding-related? Boy, we sure had some rain this afternoon! Enough to knock out power in the parking garage, leaving us briefly trapped. And enough to make the drive home take twice as long. But we sure did need it.
And? There's a tiny, new baby in the friend group. He wasn't quite fully cooked so keep baby Benjamin and his folks in your prayers. I must say, they're awesome what with his mom being on hospital bedrest for about a month and a half. And his dad dealing with living and working far away from that hospital.
I think that's all for today. It's not a nap, but getting to bed early? I'll take it.
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
I just want everything to be finished. I want everyone else I'm depending on to do their job and do it well. I want all the stuff I've worked so hard on to come together. And I still want that nap...
(Thanks for bearing with me.)
Monday, July 20, 2009
Yesterday was our RSVP deadline. We've probably heard from about 75% of folks. I think that's quite good. Not good enough to avoid sending a mass email to the other folks... And yes I know that the mail doesn't run on Sundays but it would have been Dad's birthday yesterday so I thought that was a good date to pick. And, you know, I'd remember what we put on the RSVPs.
Last week I was out of town for 4 days. All in the same place. I can't tell you the last time I stayed in the same hotel for 3 nights in a row. I crafted there. Finished a little project for The Fiance and his guys, rehearsal/rehearsal dinner invitations, and baby shower invitations for the Matron o' Honor.
It's getting to the point of difficult crafting. Most of the easy stuff is done. What remains are the things I've been waffling about or have been uninspired by or just need more thought than I have had brain power for lately. I realize that now is the time to make all these decisions.
I had a lovely shower on Saturday. The Matron and Maid of Honor threw it. Unfortunately, the Maid of Honor's mother was in the hospital and she couldn't make the actual shower she was throwing. I know she felt terrible and the Matron of Honor was a little freaked out but the SIL stepped in and helped out. Regardless, it turned out well. The food was great. I'm not sure how there continues to be new ways to make chicken salad but this was a very good one. And yea for punch! I know we're adults and a nice alcoholic beverage is often preferred but I love good, old-fashioned, non-alcoholic punch. (And perhaps I enjoy the reasons for having punch as well.) And nice, all-too-generous people (some of whom I hadn't seen in way too long). And! We actually got rain during the shower! (Oh, that's funny. I hadn't even thought of it like that; it was just exciting to get rain.)
There was some post-shower crafting. Thank you, ladies, for helping out. I was running out of steam that day and was frustrated with how one of the projects was turning out. I slept on it and think it has been improved now. I also became inspired with an idea for one other project that has really had me stumped. And I collected my bridal shower bows to make the lovely rehearsal bouquet.
"Is it supposed to be gaudy?" asks The Fiance.
"I can only work with what I have. I assure you others look worse. And, yes, it kind of is."
"It looks great then."
I must say, if it goes anything like recent weddings we'll totally forget to bring it to the rehearsal anyway...
Let's see. Other than Maid of Honor's mother in the hospital, bridesmaid-with-previous-heart-attack was back in the hospital and now out. And Matron of Honor's mother has the swine flu. And there's an area we should be watching that may possibly develop into a tropical storm. I'm trying to think good thoughts regarding all of it.
Anything other than wedding stuff? We have 6 ears of corn growing outside. And the one watermelon. We harvested our first few cantaloupes and one of them was perfectly ripe and really sweet and juicy. The yard has enjoyed the bit of rain we received. I don't know if I ever mentioned that the Black and White bathroom is completely finished. And there is currently a male cardinal sitting right outside my window.
Oh! The shirtless neighbor moved to another city. His shirted brother is moving in. While he didn't repaint the house a color I would have picked, at least he's trying to spiff up the place. His next door neighbor has also recently repainted. And a few new fences have gone up. Maybe the ol' neighborhood is movin' on up.
I've been up since about 5:00 (when The Fiance was getting ready for work) and have gotten a little wedding stuff done and made migas for breakfast. I should be ready for a nap soon...
So this wedding planning business is challenging and stressful especially as we're now down to 19 days out. (Thanks for sticking it out.) But it will all be worth it considering I'll be married to a pretty swell (and patient and forgiving and encouraging) guy at the end of it.
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
But, really, I know that I'll get everything done (with help) and whatever doesn't get done won't get noticed anyway. And I know that everything will turn out well. People will come. They'll have fun. Things will be pretty and memorable and a little quirky and us. And the day will fly by all too quickly.
So what's really important about all of it? That our people are there. That the ones who can't be there--whether they're on bed rest in Florida or were lost years ago--are there in spirit. That my bridesmaid who had a freakin' heart attack on Friday is there. That The Fiance's Grandma makes it. And that at the end of the day, in front of all those people, we'll be married.
(Also? For the record, God, Mother Nature, etc? It would be swell if we could avoid any hurricanes. Thank you. Good night.)
Monday, July 13, 2009
Yep, 26 days. Less than a month. With the help of some nice ladies, we had a very productive craft-o-rama on Saturday. I got a few more things done on Sunday. And I packed up multiple projects to work on while I'm on the road this week.
We got The Fiance's ring. Yea! And got mine appraised. Finally!
Got my shopping mostly done. Was given the ok on the two dresses I bought--one for the shower on Saturday and one for the rehearsal.
Still haven't heard from the baker. Perhaps I'll give her a call...
I'm not terribly freaked out about the very few days left. Given the LIST, I probably should be. I'm just going to force all you people to help me. Please? Pretty please?
Friday, July 10, 2009
As Katie mentioned in the Comments, it does seem like a total footrace to the end regarding all this wedding stuff... I'd love to write this lengthy post with real sentences and paragraphs but all I can hammer out is bulleted lists.
- I'm back home. Yea! I briefly thought I'd get to come home a day early next week but no dice. Instead, I'm going to someone else's site (which means less travel but more work for me). Whatever. If I can load up the car (since I'm driving this time), I can craft in hotels! Um, is it bad that that won't be a first for me?
- The Fiance's ring is in! We'll pick it up (hopefully) either today or tomorrow.
- One of the bridesmaids and her flower girl daughter are coming up today. We're trying to avert a flower girl dress crisis and get shoes.
- Have a craft-o-rama planned for Saturday. I actually have a long list but feel like I need to do some prep work for it so that I can maximize the use of my
slave laborfriends and soon-to-be family. Where's my SIL's grandmother? I'm starting to need the Granny Sweatshop they had going for her and my brother's wedding...
- I have a small shopping To Do list for today. I figure shopping is easy and it would make me feel better to have more marked off the list.
- Speaking of shopping, I bought two dresses in California. (Something you can do on the road.) One may be a rehearsal dress. That would be awesome. I'm actually tired of dress shopping. And can I say, why is it harder to find a normal dress than a freakin' wedding dress?
- I'm concerned about our baker. I emailed her with some questions earlier this week and haven't heard back...
- There has been progress on song choices and the tentative program.
- I turned my To Do list into a Google document so The Fiance can feel free to mark things off. Sending emails back and forth has made me lose track of things.
There's really just so much to do. Some of it can be delegated but some can't. Some are just decisions that need to be made. Some is trying to figure out to whom to delegate. I repeat the geez o' man from the last post. Tomorrow it's four weeks to go. Somebody get me a drink.
Monday, July 06, 2009
Apparently, there are 70,308 people in the U.S. with my first name.
Statistically, it is the 656th most popular first name.
Shockingly, >99.9% are female.
There are 1,253 people in the U.S. with my last name.
Statistically, it is the 22,507th most popular last name.
There are 1 or fewer people in the U.S. with my name. I'm betting on one.
Oh, you know you want to do it. It takes 5 seconds. Then you can put in other people's names to waste a significant amount of time.
(I was going through draft posts and came across this one, which was good since I'm at a total blank when it comes to writing right now. I'm pretty much only thinking about the wedding and doing wedding-related tasks. With 33 days left, I'm a flood of different emotions. Maybe I'll be able to get them out on virtual paper soon.)
Wednesday, July 01, 2009
- You know how I had that crappy travel day last Monday? I totally made up for it the next day when I flew to San Diego. First class. Also first class coming back on Tuesday. And that means I had but one night in my super posh suite in the hotel. Upgrades all around.
- We had a nice little outing with the Houston work folks on Friday. I ate ice cream and chatted with some ladies I rarely see. Too bad not everyone could make it.
- I had my first bridal shower on Saturday. It was really nice. Mostly family. We got some nice things, ate great (and pretty) food, and some lovely homemade favors were given to our guests. I also had a cute dress and got a hair cut that morning so that I could take advantage of someone else fixing my hair. And it wasn't so bad opening gifts in front of all those people. I guess I haven't done that since a birthday party in about 2nd grade.
- Last Saturday we also (finally!) found a wedding band that The Fiance is happy with. I'm happy with it, too. It should be in by early next week if not sooner. It will be very nice once it's part of his daily ensemble.
- We have several cantaloupes on the vines. And one tiny baby watermelon. And also one tiny ear of corn. Very exciting! It's been so hot here, I'm just glad things aren't dying. You know, except for the grass.
- Also a few new plants of the flowering variety. I'll have to take pictures (if I went out now I'd probably get sunburned).
- Lots of wedding crafting has taken place in the last week. I even had some help from The Fiance and Maid o' Honor.
- My new study for work officially started on Monday. Good times... Also? Mondays are bad for travel. Flight was delayed because our plane was broken.
- We have Friday off. Yea!
- And Saturday we're having a party for the 4th. No local fireworks but hopefully the nearby cities will at least shoot theirs.
- Then I'm mostly out of town for two weeks starting Sunday. Don't these people realize it's hard to bring craft stuff on the plane? Then another shower, a weekend off, a girls' bachelorette weekend, and then the wedding. Geez o' man. 38 days to go. That makes me want to throw up a little bit.