life list: earn a marathon medal

When I was a senior in high school I had a memory book. It contained all sorts of information I added about that year, and it had the obligatory “where do you see yourself in the future?” page. I was SUPER optimistic apparently. By 35 I was going to be married with not one, not two but FOUR kids. And I was going to run a marathon. Ah, youth.

So, yeah, about that marathon… As I rolled along through my twenties I realized that that was never going to happen. I have bad knees. In fact, I stopped running altogether for about 10 years. First, out of instructions from a physical therapist, then out of fear, then laziness/busyness, then some more fear…

Earlier this year I realized that the Seabrook Lucky Trails Marathon had a relay portion. What!? There was a 2-person half-marathon and a 4-person full. Either way each person would do ¼ of a marathon or 6.55 miles. I knew I wouldn’t suddenly be able to go from my running a 5k to running basically twice that but I did think I could drag myself one way or another over that distance. The only person I could get to buy in was Hubby. Too bad the half-marathon relay was sold out. They fortunately opened up some more slots on my birthday (36—slightly off, 18-year-old me). (Can I interject?—OMG, that was half my life ago.)

I had not-so-lofty goals. First, I wanted to finish. Second, I wanted to not get injured. Third, I wanted to do it in less than 90 minutes. I should have thrown in there that I wanted to feel healthy going in. I had been sick in the days leading up to it and also had a, um, womanly visitor for the first time in over a year (and one of a handful of times in the last 3 years. TMI, I know.). Oh, well.

But I did it. I probably ran about 2/3 of the distance and finished without injury. In 1 hour, 28 minutes, 11 seconds. Goals met. Medal earned. For the record, Hubby finished in a whopping 1 hour, 3 minutes, 9 seconds and hadn’t run that distance in who knows when. He has this annoying habit of being able to bust out a good run with little to no preparation. He really should run a marathon. I could live vicariously. Anyway, the McMarathoners placed 32nd out of 54. Not terrible.


So my new goal (which needs to be added to the Life List) is to one day do the 4-person relay with Hubby and the kids. And maybe I could do a half-marathon myself one day. I think that will be my limit, though. Marathoners? Props to you.

Comments

crowd favorites

100 things--thankful

hey, would you like to see the nursery?