update #1

So I'm sort of working today but because I'm waiting on someone to do something for me, I'm taking a bit of a break. My "working from home" looks a little different. Hubby went to the office today, too.

First, thank you to everyone who has been concerned. I hate that I can't update everyone individually but there's just so much going on. And I guess it's getting me blogging again a little bit. (Goodness, this is as far as I got this afternoon.)

Since we left off, we started some car research and test drove a few. I think we might be down to a short list but still have some work to do. They still haven't gotten my car yet--maybe Friday. But that should all be resolved pretty quickly. It's pretty obviously totalled and it's much easy to resolve than an entire house.

We're staying in an extended stay hotel for January. It's nice. Free breakfast, cookies, laundry, dinner three nights a week. We have two bedrooms and Maggie is allowed. It should be fine for a month. Then we'll be at the in-laws'. We have a company that will help us figure out March and beyond (for free through insurance).

I think all the various people who needed to come look at the house now have. We'll just be waiting a couple more weeks for things to get wrapped up with the claim. We'll be trying to find a contractor till then. Sounds like we're looking at 6 months or more and lots and lots of remodeling.

We sent off most of our textiles and I think have washed the rest. We also got our emergency clothes back. Plus some random other things. Even in whatever state I was in on Christmas, I'm pretty confident that I didn't send all of Buns' swimsuits to be laundered first.

Up next is dealing with sorting through everything in the house. We'll basically have a pile of things that are trash, things that we'll send out for the pros to clean, and things that we'll clean ourselves. There will be someone to help us inventory all the trash. That should be fun. And, of course, figuring out everything that was in the garage is all on us.

We'll all doing ok. Buns is very resilient. Chicken seems just a little unsure but she'll be ok. I think it will be good to have some consistency. And now that Maggie is with us, we're all under one roof again. I got a few things to make them feel like they're home so I imagine they'll be fine. Since her birthday is at the end of the month we obviously won't be having it at home. The kids go to a little gym that will host it. Got that taken care of on Monday, too.

There have been two instances where I wanted to stab people but I figure that's not too bad, all things considered. While I was shopping at Target this morning I felt like I was barely keeping it together. I don't know if it was because I was alone for the first time, with only my brain to keep me company. Probably.

I think that's about it for the update. I know so many people have kindly asked what they can do. If you're interested, we'll try to triage things at the house on Sunday. I'll update FB with more info soon. As for things you could send? I'm not sure right now as we don't have a ton of storage space. We'll probably be getting a storage unit soon and then we can go from there. If you absolutely cannot sleep until you help, perhaps gift cards (restaurants, groceries, etc) or books for the kids. Our mail is getting forwarded to my in-laws'. If you want to send anything there directly, just let me know. Here's to a better 2015.

Comments

crowd favorites

100 things--thankful

hey, would you like to see the nursery?