We're still at the in-laws'. We were supposed to have moved into the apartment today but that got pushed back to Friday. That means we'll be here to welcome the in-laws back from vacation. And hang with them a few days.
So the apartment was all kinds of fun. Everything went swimmingly the last day I posted. Then the next day we were told we couldn't move in there at all due to a new company policy not allowing leases shorter than 12 months. I called them and was on the verge of tears, threw the kitchen sink at them, they called corporate and had a "change of heart." Then last week they had a wrong date for move-in. Whatever. I'm rolling with it but not counting on moving in until I'm actually in. And then it will be harder for them to get us out. We'll be squatters. I'm not proud.
But moving into the apartment means we'll be getting our clothes back. I'm more excited about that than I should be. But I have a seriously limited wardrobe. And the kids are outgrowing those clothes as we speak. So yea for that! And yea for hopefully regaining some normalcy.
We're now at about 99% re: garage and trash belongings in the dumpster. We have a couple of non-trash things that I think I'll end up just moving to the apartment. Other than that, everything else will be handled by the contractors. We've made good work of it.
Contents are settled. That went well. Now comes the task of making the most of that money. I've bought a few things that we need to live but most of it (like furniture) will just have to wait till we're closer to moving back in.
I really love my car so that's something.
The house? Yeah. That's been a pain. We did get a new claims examiner with the insurance. I really like her and she lays down the law for folks who are dragging their feet. And she's helpful and informative and communicative. We also got a new, seemingly more reasonable building consultant assigned to our case. So he, our contractor, and I walked through the house again on Friday to try to get everyone on the same page budget-wise. We should have this ironed out hopefully this week or next and then can seriously get started on things. And things are supposedly coming along with getting permits and temporary electricity. Oh, I did have to call the electricity provider and tell them that their "estimated" meter reading was off. We, in fact, don't have a meter to read. Haven't for months. Estimate should be zero. Sigh...