seven years (the boy edition!)

Happy birthday, my sweet boy!  We had your birthday party last Saturday and things are just kind of hectic this week, so it wasn't the first thing I thought of when I woke up.  But I at least remembered before you left for camp. 

Speaking of your birthday party...for the second year in a row you picked some weird, obscure theme.  This year?  Treasure X.  Lucky for me it's sort of like a pirate theme so that's what we went with.  We had some fun decorations and favors.  You requested doughnuts again instead of cake.  We had a scavenger hunt which went way better than I expected.  And a piñata.  You asked for that specifically.  A good, crazy time was had by all you little boys. 

This summer has gone by so fast.  You've had lots of camps since y'all didn't want to go to real day care anymore.  You've done several technology-related ones and have enjoyed them.  You got to learn to fly drones, build robots, design video games, do Legomation.  Lots of cool stuff. 

You're still in swimming and are doing so well.  I think this next semester will be the highest level of lessons.  Then you'll switch to more competitive-type stuff.  You also have shown an interest in tennis again so we'll see about that once school starts.  You're still a (super adorable) Boy Scout.  You leveled up at the end of the school year. 

You'll start 2nd grade in a few weeks.  I can't believe that.  You and your sister are just barreling through elementary.  You're a great reader.  There really isn't anything you struggle with at school although I'd like for your handwriting to be neater.  You love GT and basically anything that involves a screen (like computer lab).

You are still a great little brother.  The other day you were trying to love on your sister and she was actually the one trying to stop it.  Crazy kids.  You read to her at night once y'all are supposed to be going to sleep.  Still in the same room.  Y'all have had a few camps together this summer and at one you two miscommunicated and we're partners.  I think it hurt your feelings more than hers.  I think y'all would have fought as partners so it probably worked out for the best.  But I do like that you both wanted to be.

Other than screens and video games, you do enjoy reading.  You did the library reading program this summer.  You and your sister will binge cartoons.  Lately it's been Captain Underpants, The Croods, Total Drama, etc.  And the usual Legos.  You also love playdates and having friends over.  We had some awesome vacations over the last year and you realized you like roller coasters.  Luckily I still seem to tolerate them in my old age.

You're somewhat helpful around the house.  It feels like I just need to get you into a routine and you'll stick to it.  It's your job to take out the recycling every week.  You hate putting away clothes and cleaning in general.  But you'll do it.  Eventually.  Especially if you have to do it to earn screen time.

You still look the same but have stretched out a little.  Still smaller than the average bear.  Still with the strawberry blonde hair.  You live in athletic wear (I got you in jeans twice this year).  You finally lost two teeth!  It was very exciting.  Your 6-year molars are coming in and no other loose teeth.

Yearly questions:
  • What is your favorite food?  McDonald's and Menchies
  • Favorite movie?  The Croods
  • Color?  Red and blue and green and gold
  • Thing to do? Play video games
  • Who is your best friend? Sammy
  • Where is your favorite place to go? McDonald's
  • What do you want to be when you grow up? Video game tester (to see if the games are too hard)
I hope you have a great year, Mr. Seven-Year-Old.  It's been such a joy being your mother.  I can't imagine life without you.  Last night I was trying to get you to agree to stop growing.  We decided we'd need a witch with a spell who would keep us both our current age forever.  Then I saw a video of you from 5 years ago and I sure could use more time with that little kid.  Ah, parenting.  Love you, bubs.

Comments

crowd favorites

100 things--thankful

hey, would you like to see the nursery?