life list: visit every state (south carolina)

I have multiple posts in my head but don't really have time for them all right now.  Things have been very busy with work lately.  Lots of traveling out of state (which I haven't had in awhile).  This week I flew out to Charleston on Monday.  I was able to explore their downtown a little bit and buy a few things from local craftsmen.  I also ate at Magnolia, recommended by multiple people.  It was quite good but I was so tired I just got it to go. 

I stayed at The Ashley Inn, a little B&B near the medical school and not too far from downtown.  It was kind of a last-minute trip so B&Bs are a little harder to come by (even though there are TONS of them there).  Had a good breakfast on Tuesday morning--sausage meat pie with pimento cheese sauce, chive scrambled eggs, and fresh fruit.  There were two couples staying there (one older and one younger) as well as a pair of sisters.  The owner stopped by and chatted with us for awhile about food and history.  Apparently Charleston is one of the top places to eat in the country--this guy thinks it's the best place for restaurants period.  I didn't have a lot of time there so I didn't get to visit plantations or museums or anything.  Overall, I thought the place was ok.  But yea for marking off South Carolina and actually visiting Charleston, something I've wanted to do for years.  May have to go back one day.

After breakfast on Tuesday, I drove to Savannah.  Worked there and then headed to their downtown.  Um, I'm in love.  Savannah is exactly how I thought it would be.  Love all the little green spaces in their downtown.  I did some shopping there and had some Thin Mint and Cream ice cream at Leopold's, great recommendations from a design blog that I read.  And I generally wandered around town.  I was hoping to eat dinner there but had to get back on the road.  I figured I'd be sleepy after a good Southern meal so I had to skip it this time.  I did drive by Paula Deen's restaurant, Lady and Sons, and it had a line around the block (all old folks).  The locals said it was a little over-rated but that the desserts were good.  Oh, well.  Maybe next time.  I'll definitely be back in Savannah one day--and for much longer!

Left Savannah and drove to Macon to spend the night.  Grabbed dinner at Cracker Barrel.  At least it was some country cookin'.  Might have gotten bed bugs at the hotel that night (or was allergic to the sheets or something) and then headed on to Gainesville Wednesday morning.  Worked there and then left for the ATL.  I stopped by The Varsity for a frosted orange along the way.  Overall, it was a pretty good trip.  I haven't been able to squeeze much fun into work travel in a long time so that was a nice change.  And I got to see much more of Georgia than I had before.  Lots of driving, though, so I was pretty tired the whole time.  Starting the 3rd trimester probably didn't help there.  So that was my little Southern trip.

(For the record--and my own sad little memory--the states I haven't been to yet are Alaska, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Arkansas, Iowa, Wisconsin, West Virginia, Delaware, Connecticut, and Vermont.)

Comments

crowd favorites

100 things--thankful

hey, would you like to see the nursery?