month 12

Well, baby boy. You did it. You've been in this world every day of the year. You are a complete joy. Well, minus the times you are pitchin' the biggest fits. You are definitely worth all the trouble you caused me during pregnancy and all the sleep deprivation and all the diaper fails (um, including this morning's).

You've had a pretty big month. You now know lots of tricks--waving, clapping, giving high fives, blowing raspberries, blowing bubbles in the pool. You can stand on your own, stand up from the squatting position and vice versa, cruise like nobody's business. You have mastered the stairs. Up, anyway. You climb off the furniture on your own. You get into and out of the kid-sized chairs all by yourself. You've actually taken a few steps here and there over the last week. Very exciting! But I think it will be awhile before you're proficient. No rush.


Over the last week, we've started the switch to milk. Once the formula is gone in all your various caregiving places, you're done. I love this step. Next up? Getting rid of the bottle. I LOVE that step, too. And then I guess we'll tackle the paci. So far you haven't had any issues with milk. Knock on wood.

You almost solely eat finger foods. We give you a plate but it often ends up on the floor or turned upside down. You also get a sippy cup. You still spit a lot of it out. You play with plasticware but we rarely let you try to feed yourself. When you do, you're a mess.


You're starting to thin out a little. We go to the doctor on Friday so I'll update your stats then. Your hair is still strawberry blonde and it's getting thicker. You have the best eyes and long (but pale) eye lashes. I think you're going to have my long fingers and toes. Still just the 5 teeth.

You're sleeping ok. Daddy often puts you to bed. Our evening routine is going on a family walk followed by a kids' joint bath. Sometimes your sister and I then join you and Daddy in your room. Y'all play a little and then read some. We break away and Daddy gives you a bottle and puts you to bed. Sometimes you're easy, and sometimes you cry and cry. Still often wake up too early. You have an erratic nap schedule these days, and I'm a little concerned you'll be asleep for your entire birthday party on Saturday. I scheduled the time back when your nap schedule was pretty predictable. So it goes.


You now say Dada, and I think you know what it means. You say Mama, too, but I'm not convinced you mean it. Last Friday, your auntie was watching you and you repeated "no, no." You've said it a few times since. It totally freaks me out because it means you're communicating. You will have a voice. I can't wait to hear what all it says.

You still really dislike diaper changes, getting dressed, and having your nails trimmed. You love being outside and hate coming back in. You play with blocks and are starting to try to figure things out a bit more. You love getting into the kitchen cabinets and pantry and wish you could get into the potty. You absolutely LOVE dogs. Even more than your sister, I think--which I hardly believe is possible. You want to lounge on them. Tessa lets you and Maggie surprisingly tolerates you. You love water and will find any little puddle to soak yourself in. And you often prefer Daddy, which works out well since your sister is the opposite.


Tonight we're going to celebrate your birthday proper at your grandparents'. Then we'll have a party here on Saturday. It's an airplane party. I think it will be fun. You have a terribly cute outfit to wear. I must say that I'll be somewhat relieved once the party is over, though. I put a lot of pressure on myself to make sure your first year was given as much attention as your sister's. It was much harder, but I feel pretty good about it.


Earlier this week I was sitting in the big blue chair in your room. I bought that chair when I was still in grad school. It's seen me through single days, loneliness, giddiness, heartbreak. It's lived in a couple of apartments in a couple of towns, storage, and 2 houses. It's seen me go from from that single girl to a wife to a mother two times over. I've fallen asleep in it reading or when I was sick and could only sleep sitting up and when I was pregnant with you. A lot. In fact, I was in that chair when labor started a year ago. Of course, I've slept with you in that chair many times this last year. And this week I was sitting in it, watching your Daddy read to you and your sister. She was sitting in his lap and you were standing in front of him, holding on to his knee. I was just so overwhelmed by that scene. That lonely girl only dreamt of this life. It's so hard to appreciate it every minute of every day but I'm trying. You have been the perfect final puzzle piece of this family. I'm so proud to be your mama. Happy birthday, my sweet little Buns.

Comments

Tonya said…
Happy 1st Birthday!! Love this post :) He is soooo cute!
Katie Lady said…
Very poignant. Happy birthday little man.

crowd favorites

100 things--thankful

hey, would you like to see the nursery?