18 months

Buns! A year and a half! You are my favorite son ever. I'm surprised I haven't suffocated you with snuggles. I'm not sure if it's because you let me more than your sister did at this age or because you're a boy or because you're the baby. Whatever. I'm taking full advantage.

So other than super cuddly, what are you like at 18 months? You still have a really deep voice but you say words now! Some are pretty clear to others but some only I understand. Off the top of my head: Mommy, Daddy, doggie, plane, nudie, no, bye bye, cheese, all done, help, armie (for arm), book, Maggie (garbled), Daisy, Tessa, milk, mummy (for gummy), and Scarlett (it varies but kind of like "Carleh"). I know I'm forgetting some. You can tell me what sounds most animals make. You know what we're saying now and respond to commands. You know some body parts.


You still love water and baths. You really love reading these days. You were a little slower to get on board with books than your sister but you certainly are there now. When I take your (size 6) shoes and socks off, you giggle, giggle, giggle. You like music (especially "Shapoopie" from The Music Man) and dance to it. You adore technology. You'll watch some TV with your sister but you usually get bored and start playing with toys, which is preferable. You like to climb on things and go to the park. You LOVE walks with Maggie. You don't dislike diaper changes and getting dressed as much. But you do still hate having your nails trimmed. You don't prefer Daddy quite as much anymore--it's closer to being even.

You still want to be held a lot. You're super sweet and terribly cute. You are mostly really happy and smile and laugh a lot. But you have the red hair so you anger easily. You know, red hair and you're a TODDLER.


You're a relatively good eater. We weened you off the bottle right after your birthday. (And we got rid of the paci, too!) You primarily use sippy cups but sometimes straws. Regular cups = mess. You're on cow's milk, and we luckily had no problems there. You still love baby food squeeze packs. Other favorites: gummies, yogurt, yogurt raisins, cheese, soft meats, grapes. You're getting pretty good at utensils although you do still like to eat with your hands.


Sleep is a struggle. You're still sleeping in your crib and down to one nap a day. Apparently you go down easily at school but it's harder at home and the grandparents'. You go to sleep easier in a grown-up bed. Night time varies but usually you cry. You have some stamina, and it makes Mommy a little crazy. Sometimes you sleep through the night but sometimes you wake up and cry. We're trying to work on getting you to soothe yourself. When you wake up in the morning (too early), you usually cry until we come get you. I don't know why you don't wake up happy. I'm certainly glad that's something we outgrow prior to adulthood.



You are super mobile. You walk and run and climb. You go up and down the stairs much more easily these days.

Nothing regarding potty training. I have no idea how we're going to start that with a boy. I guess we have awhile still.


Your 18-month pediatrician's visit isn't until next week so I'll update then. You are a skinny minny, though. Way more so than your sister. I'll be interested to see your stats since the last time we went in you were sick. Update: Yes, you're a confirmed skinny minny. Height=32.5" (56.5%), Weight=24lb 6.1oz (29th%).


Goodness, Buns. I just love you so much. You're my sweetie boy. I can't believe you're halfway through the second year. Things are getting easier on me as a parent, and it's awesome to see you two interact. Y'all are the best. I'm glad I get to be your Mommy.

Comments

Connie Osburn said…
This is the cutest article I have seen from a mom to their son, Did you put this in his baby book?

crowd favorites

100 things--thankful

hey, would you like to see the nursery?