Four

Child, I'm ridiculously behind on about all things these days. But you're 4!  When we planned your brother's birthday party, you told me that you want a princess party yourself. It wasn't surprising then and you stuck with it for 6 months. We narrowed it down to a Frozen theme, however. I had all sorts of fun ideas and even looked into getting snow but then all hat fell to the wayside when our house caught on fire. The opposite of a Frozen party...  But we took advantage of the birthday package at the gym you and your brother attend and it worked out great. I feel like I phoned it in but y'all had a good time and Mommy didn't go insane so win-win.

You are still so smart and chatty. You ask TONS of questions. Sometimes when I say something you will repeat it under your breath, like you're processing it and committing it to memory. You do have a fantastic memory. You still have a lot of empathy and love babies. You're very resilient, as evidenced by this whole nomad lifestyle we have. I think it has bothered you a bit but not as much as I would have expected. You do still whine and pitch some fits. Does that ever stop?  Maybe when you're grown.

You're finally getting better with the coordination. You've been going to ballet/dance since August and it seems to help a little. And you can ride a bike with training wheels!  Granddad mentioned it right before your birthday because you borrowed another little girl's at the playground. So that was your big birthday gift. And, yes!  You can ride it.

You're doing great in school. You get little report cards. It's funny how I have a bit of anxiety over that. I want you to succeed. Still struggling with handwriting but you've made HUGE improvements during Pre-K4. Your teacher is wonderful. When you first started in her class, I think you thought she worked you too hard so you weren't sure if you liked her. But then you adjusted and you love her, too.  You still have some of the same classmates as when you started there plus a few new ones you enjoy. We invited your friends to your birthday for the first time. Y'all are so cute together.

You keep thinning out and growing. You were something like 77th% for height and 65th-ish% for weight.  You're still size 9 shoes but I think can do 10s.  You mostly wear size 4 or 5 clothes. Your hair is still your most notable feature. We keep it long but trim it regularly. You still like fancy hairstyles but also just want it down sometimes. You had some whispies that got on your nerves so you cut them off. You had super short bangs that basically stuck out perpendicular to your face. Ah, a right on passage of childhood.

I'd say you still like pink the best closely followed by purple. You'll also tell me you like silver, gold, turquoise, and coral. You still love reading. You do enjoy watching movies, going to the park, playing with neighbor girls, walking Maggie, playing dress-up. I think I'm still your favorite but you do mostly get along with your brother.

Regarding sleep, you are still at a stage where going to bed or going down for naps (which you still take--yea!) is pretty easy. Bedtime is usually between 8:30 and 9. You mostly sleep through the night but still wake up altogether too early. You and your brother slept in the same room (your room). Sometimes y'all would sleep in different bunks but sometimes both in the bottom. You've had separate beds or even rooms since the fire and have done just fine. But you both tell me that you want to sleep in the same room once we get back home.

You eat pretty well. You have a reasonably balanced diet and like veggies more than your brother. But you do still have your daddy's sweet tooth.

Well, I'm already late at writing this and we all (except you, miraculously) have a horrible stomach bug. I guess that's it. You're still awesome, and I'm very proud to be your Mommy.  Love you, Chicken Licken.

Chicken, I had to come back and make an addition. I can't believe I left it out before. I blame illness and fatigue and general life craziness. But about your attire. You know how there was a period where you wore only dresses? Well now you wear ALL THE CLOTHES. At once. Like a long-sleeved shirt under a short-sleeved shirt with leggings and a skirt and leg warmers. All of it. It's very Punky Brewster. I think you'd love her, but I have mixed feelings about showing her to you for fear that you'll want to wear mismatched shoes or something. Anyway, it's hysterical and I'm totally giving you control there.

Comments

crowd favorites

100 things--thankful

hey, would you like to see the nursery?