18 months

Oh, Chicken.  How is it that six whole months have passed since your birthday?  I can't believe it.  I mean, yes, we've been busy.  Crazy busy.  Busier than folks probably should ever be.  But still, half a year.  And in my head, I was thinking that you've changed mentally and developmentally but not so much physically.  And then I looked at some of the videos and pictures from January.  Oh, my.  You're such a little girl now.  Barely a trace of baby left at all. 


So what's been going on with our family since then?  Mama's gotten very pregnant with your baby brother.  Mama started running again and then had to stop (see previous sentence).  Both of your parents have been very busy with work.  And with chores around the old house.  And with selling the old house and buying the new one.  And moving.  And packing and unpacking.  We all went to the Houston Livestock Show portion of the Rodeo, Opening Day at Minute Maid Park, the Bluebonnet Festival in Burnet, various parties to celebrate various occasions.  You had your first ever swimming lessons.  And Mama has gotten really bad at documenting all of it.  I'm sorry for that but I can't make any guarantees of improvement.

What's changed with you?  You are definitely still chatty but you use words!  Off the top of my head, you say uh oh, doggie, Mama, Dada, sometimes Mommy (which freaks me out), Maggie, hi, bye (in a very southern fashion), no, cow, kitty, the sound a cow makes ("nnnnn" according to you), keys, car, shoes, hat, cheese, apple, oh no, nom nom (when something tastes good), and how are you.  I'm probably forgetting some.  I don't think you know what "how are you?" means, but you say it and it's cute.  You know what MANY more words mean.  You respond to simple commands quite often.  You can point to your eyes, hair, ears, nose, mouth, teeth, belly button, toes.  You can fake laugh if I ask you how you laugh, and you think it's funny to "grumpy frown."




You love taking Maggie for walks, putting on your shoes, music and dancing, water, looking at books, and going from standing on the couch to falling on your bootie.

You haven't been phased by this move at all. I had wanted to take you back to the old house once everything was moved out of it so that you could have closure.  I guess you didn't need it.  I know you won't remember that house but I will.  I'll force you to look at pictures of the place you spent your first year, the place I went from being a single person to a wife to a mama.  Crazy.

You're still a pretty good eater.  We weened you off the bottle shortly after you turned a year.  You started cow's milk and then we switched you to soy and then to lactose-free.  Your digestive system seems to just have issues.  I hope you grow out of that.  The doctor isn't concerned so I'm trying not to be as well.  You love fruits and veggies.  And cheese. 

Sleep is about the same.  You normally sleep through the night or just randomly cry out briefly sometimes.  I almost never have to go in to check on you or comfort you in the middle of the night.  You still take two naps (except at daycare) and you go down fairly easily for those.  Sometimes you just hang out in your crib and chat with your animals or to yourself before falling asleep.  We've tried to have a good bedtime routine but you often are mad that it's time for bed.  Sometimes you (blessedly) only cry for about 10 seconds but most of the time it's more like 10+ minutes.  I think it helps if you aren't wound up before bed.


You don't just walk these days.  You run.  And you think you jump but I'm not sure if your feet ever leave the ground.  Sometimes you walk on tip toes.  You do still fall down sometimes (I have no idea why) but I guess that's just part of it.  Scraped knees and boo-boos. 

You had your 18-month doctor visit yesterday and you're doing great.  You really have slimmed down and grown taller.  You weigh 24 lb, 9 oz (55th percentile) and are 32" tall (62nd percentile).  Getting long and lean and nothing like that chubby 1-year-old of a mere 6 months ago.  I miss the thunder thighs.


Even though it's been a crazy time, it's been fun.  You bring so much joy to our lives.  It will be interesting to see how things change once your brother gets here.  But you'll still be my favorite girl.

Comments

How is she growing up so fast?!? She is so adorable! I'd still love to meet her in person soon. Love you both!
integir said…
First of all, red is an amazing color on her. Further proof she is aptly named.

Secondly, her grandfather was guilty of winding up her dad and her aunt before they went to bed, much to the chagrin of her grandma. I wonder if Scarlett's father is culpable.

crowd favorites

100 things--thankful

hey, would you like to see the nursery?