celebrating

I have a list of posts I want to write.  Even though that could make me feel behind, I'm actually kind of glad since it means that there are exciting things happening AND I feel compelled to write.  Two topics should come before this one but it's a lot of fun.

For Chicken's birthday proper, we continued the tradition of getting together for dinner with her grandparents (and auntie this year).  Her grandmother made a great dinner and got mini bundt cakes (think old school cupcake-size) from a new bakery here.  Then presents!  Since she heard she was 2, she was grumpy pants that night.  She did enjoy her presents, though.  And the cake.  She even blew out her candles.





I have no idea why she decided to just bite right in instead of using utensils or even her hands.  What can I say?  She's 2.  Miles enjoyed himself as well.  I love that baby.


We celebrated with a bigger party on Saturday.  Since she loves them, it was a puppy party.  I had a lot of fun with the theme.  The invitations were really cute.  Here's part of them (cropped to hide our address):


We asked that folks bring supplies for a local no-kill animal shelter instead of the usual birthday gifts.  We got some of both since people are so generous.  Not a lot of decorating for the actual party.  Here's the front door.


I did order 2 dozen red balloons, picked them up, knocked over 3 orchid plants while trying to get them to the register, crammed them in the car, got them in the mud room, and then apparently let them leave out the back door before I got them where I wanted them.  Sigh.  I'm not going to tell you how I wanted to use them since I've been dying to do this for several parties now.  I'm getting closer.  I think the thing that bothers me most about this is that there were 2 big black plastic garbage bags each holding 12 red balloons.  So no one even got to enjoy seeing random red balloons flying around the area.  Sigh.  Again.

So we had a brown and red color scheme.  Love the crazy tulips!  The red punch on the left didn't turn out that red.  Oh, well.  And the favors and favor bags were my favorite.  Each bag was labeled as a "doggie bag" and thanked folks for a "howlin' good time."  Ok, maybe I enjoyed all the puns, too.  The kids got a puppy to adopt, a puppy blanket, a leash, and a bowl full of puppy chow.  Made everything but the actual puppies.



To continue the dog theme, we had a hot dog bar.  I made chili and Hubby grilled.  We included lots of toppings and some ideas for using some of the more unique options.  I also just rolled out brown paper for a large table runner.  I'm not gonna lie.  I love our new table and wanted to be able to see it.  That, and it's BIG.  Harder to find tablecloths for.  




Since I have not one but two small children, I farmed out or purchased most of the food.  I ordered cupcakes but added the dog bones (graham crackers).  I also just stamped and wrote right on the runner, labeling each food item with a picture of a dog "loves pupcakes!"  Or "pupcorn!"  Or "sticks!"  Those were chocolate covered pretzels.  



It was unseasonably warm so we all got to enjoy the house indoors and out.  I love this house for entertaining.  The girls found a slide behind the garage (that isn't attached to an actual swing set).  The men pulled it out and propped it up on the fence.  The little ones LOVED it.  Go figure.  And, yes, we had not one, not two, but FOUR blonde-haired, blue-eyed girls at this party.  (Buns and one fellow party-goer represented the boys.)


I think we all had fun, young and old alike.  It was nice to see everyone and actually get to visit a little bit.  Chicken told me that she had fun and enjoyed playing with everyone.  Success!  And, all things considered, I only had one stressed party-related freak out.  Also success.  I must say, though, that I'm glad my kids have birthdays 6 months apart.

Comments

crowd favorites

100 things--thankful

hey, would you like to see the nursery?