giving back

There's this organization I've been wanting to volunteer with for years. I'm talking maybe 7 years. It's a non-profit that helps kids (and their parent(s)) who have lost a sibling or parent. They help them deal with grief and realize they're not alone in this. Obviously, this is something to which I have personal connection.

Many things have kept me from volunteering before--not knowing if I've dealt with my own stuff enough to help others' deal with theirs, working two jobs, transitioning into this whole travel lifestyle thing. But I guess since I was working with children and/or had many other goals I was working toward, I could keep putting it off. It's not like I've been sitting around reveling in all my free time.

Lately, though, I've felt a little goal-less. In the best possible way. Things are good in so many areas of my life. No balls are waiting to be thrown in the air; they just need a little maintenance to keep them there. My schedule is a bit more manageable; I'm used to traveling. And as I was telling The Boyfriend last night, I feel somewhat disconnected from why I majored in psychology in the first place. I miss working with kids and seeing how I'm helping people. I miss doing a little counseling. I even miss (gasp!) non-profits. So I thought I'd go ahead and check out the feasibility of volunteering. Turns out, between me rearranging my schedule and the organization being understanding about some things that can't be changed, I'll be able to complete the extensive training process. By the end of the year I'll be able to volunteer.

When we were talking about this last night, I realized how much I'm looking forward to it. It's such a fantastic organization with such a wonderful mission. I'm happy at the prospect of being part of it.

Comments

Patois42 said…
I'm so glad you'll have this chance. It sounds like something you'll really feel good about.
Good for you, Girl!! What an awesome thing you are doing!
angelq said…
Huh. Funny I was just thinking that about you the other day. I wondered if you thought you'd be doing that thing you do now. That you'd always said you hoped to do some grief counseling. Huh.
Anonymous said…
That's great! I'm so glad you'll be able to do it!!!
Katie Lady said…
Wow, that's great! Congrats!
StaceyG said…
Good for you! It's always awesome to feel like you're giving back. They'll be lucky to have you!
D... said…
Those kids are going to be so lucky to have you. You are doing such an amazing thing.

crowd favorites

100 things--thankful

hey, would you like to see the nursery?