wedding wednesday: my vows

I'm not sure at what point in the wedding planning process I brought up writing our own vows. I'm pretty sure I wanted to do it even before we were engaged. And Hubby had already proven himself a good, creative writer so I thought he might be game. Lucky for me, he was and we ended up with a really awesome, personalized wedding (you know, in my opinion).

How did I come up with something to say? I did a little online research for some inspriration but I also did a little research in my closet. I'm a bit (cough, cough) of a list-maker and I guess a little bit of a hoarder sentimental saver. I pulled out an actual list I made of attributes I had wanted to find in a mate, written years ago, and used some of the actual verbage in my vows. Is it weird to say that I ended up having a rough draft of my vows maybe 7-ish years in advance?

I know we're not the first folks to do this but our wedding was the first time I'd heard non-traditional vows in person. Our guests (or heck, even we) may not remember the specifics of what we said that day but hopefully they'll remember it was unique. Here are mine.


"I don't think I ever told you this but several years ago, back when I was fresh from getting my second psychology degree, I made a list of what I was looking for in a guy. Some criteria were pretty basic. He should be single, he should likes “shes.” I didn’t want to take any chances...

"But I also added things that previous experiences had taught me were non-negotiable. Obviously it took a long time to find someone who could meet my high standards, and I was starting to think this day would never come. But two years ago I met you. Right here. I knew right away that you were handsome and smart. Before we even went on our first date, it was obvious that you were also funny and creative and open to new things. And in all the moments since, I’ve discovered that you are also romantic and moral and really fun to be with. You’re a stand up guy. You’re here for me during the good times and the bad. You’re not embarrassed to hold my hand in public. You’re loving, and you let me make my own decisions. You respect yourself and me. You’re a little bit quirky in an endearing way. And you make life easier. Better. Complete.


"It took so long to find each other but I don’t think either of us would have really been ready any sooner. Hubby, I choose you to be my husband, my friend, my partner. Together, we are so much more than we were alone. I promise to try every day to make our relationship stronger. To work through any problems that may come. To share my life with you. To only get closer. I promise to try to take your feelings and opinions into consideration. Sometimes that’s hard. I’m a little independent. I promise to show you the respect that you’ve shown me. I promise to put your clothes on their hangers backwards (unless I can convince you otherwise). I promise to love you and support you and be your biggest fan. I promise to be faithful to you and always be open and honest. And I promise to test at least some of my boundaries. I promise all of these things to you--today, tomorrow, for the rest of our lives--because you really are the best thing that ever happened to me."

Comments

Anonymous said…
i loved your vows. it made me cry when i first read them (and not just because i was pregnant) and they made me tear up again just now.

cph
samantha said…
AWWW! And that's such an amazing picture too!

xoxo

crowd favorites

100 things--thankful

hey, would you like to see the nursery?