why i don't link to my blog on facebook

People don't have to agree with me. That's fine. Honestly. I don't mind if we have differing opinions. One day, though, perhaps I'll stop trying to expose people to opinions different from their own when I know that it won't make a bit of difference. Some people are just really closed off. Here's my latest, sad FB battle [with additional commentary by me]:

Person From HS (PFHS): WTF have you heard that they are going to build a mosque at the site of ground zero!!??
Stranger to Me: PFHS! Ur mouth! I never thought I would see the day that u would say "wtf"!! [Can I interject here that I love people who comment on something that isn't the real issue?]
cjm: Yes, it's actually 2 blocks from ground zero and will be a multi-faith community and cultural center. A quote from a man who lost a nephew in 9/11: “The moderate Muslim voice has been squashed in America,” he said. “Here is a chance to allow moderate Muslims to teach people that not all Muslims are terrorists.” [You know, foolishly backed by facts from news sources.]
Stranger 2: omg!!!! that is a slap in the face to all the poor people that died!!! disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Nice use of exclamation points.]
PFHS's Husband: Since the IRA quieted down you could say all recent terrorist attacks have been carried out by muslims. I would like to meet a moderate muslim, but I think that is a oxymoron. [Can I use "WTF?" now?]
cjm: I have worked with, gone to school with, and been friends with folks of all different races and religions, including Muslims. I'm fairly certain none were terrorists. They make crazies of every type. Christians, too.
PFHS's Husband: Did not say every muslim is a terrorist but 99% of all terrorist are muslim and yes there are crazy Christians (Joel Osteen [Ok, I don't know the demographic breakdown of all terrorists. Is there a census for terrorists? Some questionnaire they have to complete that states their race, ethnicity, gender, religious affiliation? But whatever. Let's say 99% of terrorists are Muslims. Does that mean no other Muslim can worship where they want?]
PFHS: [Comment regarding cursing.]
PFHS: To me it's kind of like having the family of the murderer of your children move in your neighborhood. They didn't actually do the killing but they are firm reminders of the act. [Wow, I like this comment. Analogy? Good. Seems to be acknowledging that not all Muslims are terrorists.]
cjm: Hmm, that's an interesting point. But should the family be stereotyped against or mistreated or given fewer rights simply because of a commonality?
PFHS: Husband, how dare you hurt the feelings of muslim extremists. Who cares about the feelings of the victims of and families of 911. Remember our talk about political correctness? [Huh, ok. Nevermind re: the previous comment that I was impressed by. Who was talking about hurting the feelings of Muslim extremists?!]
PFHS: Ok seriously though...the attackers did it "for" the muslim faith. Putting a mosque close to the site is plain disrespectful and not a good PR move for their faith. If a catholic did the same thing for their faith it would be disrespectful to put a catholic church near the site. plain and simple....have a little taste and respect for the victims....

Sigh... I just disagree but know it's a losing battle. The responses aren't even really responding to previous comments. Why? Why do I even try? Again, if you disagree with me that's fine. I know you, my lovely readers, will actually use logic instead of whatever this is above. Venting over. I'll move on now.

Comments

Patois42 said…
And that's why I make liberal use of the de-friending/unfollowing button.

Wow.
Katie Lady said…
Holy schmoly. I've had arguments as well, and have had to hide friends who are just WAY too different from me politically, as that's what the issue usually is about. Most of her posts are related to politics of some sort, and I just can't read her crap anymore.

I tend to ignore, but sometimes it is very hard. I don't blame you one bit for not connecting to two.

crowd favorites

100 things--thankful

hey, would you like to see the nursery?