friendship

Yesterday I went back to my hometown to attend my friend's father's funeral. We've known each other forever. As was the case throughout my youth, I was the little sister. About ten years ago we became friends in our own right, not just through my brother. Because life tends to get in the way sometimes, we haven't really kept in touch the last year or so. Regardless, I went to the funeral because this person needed his friends. I went because of the Aggie football games we attended together, because of the wedding we went to where we danced along side his parents, because of the annual weekends we all gathered at his bay house to live commune-style, because of the real conversations we had quietly and alone when the guys left the room to take a break from "shootin' the shit." I went because he could bring tears to my eyes by saying "Now I know how you felt; I couldn't really understand it all these years." I went because there are some people you come to know and love and you can pick up right where you left off regardless of the time and space that separate you.

I am very grateful that my brother and I were given the ability to make friends. It's a characteristic it turned out we really needed. I'm grateful we both have such wonderful friends, many of whom we've grown to share. And I'm grateful that we're friends ourselves in addition to being siblings. It makes life easier. Now if I could just convince someone to become my personal assistant I'd really be in business...

Comments

What a precious post! I, too, am blessed with a brother that I can call a friend. And despite the difference in our ages, we share friends as well. Isn't it great?

I love you, Bubba!
Emmie said…
well so touchy post.... loved the way u have shared your true feelings here....i liked your blog pretty much... i would surely love to visit your blog again.... well u can too drop by My Blog sometimes... hope u will find it interesting...!!!
angelq said…
True friends are hard to come by. And I'm sure you and your brother have earned a special place in this friend's heart because you were there.
Editor in Chief said…
I have life-long friends like that, too. Doesn't matter the time and space that separates, you always pick up right where you left off. It was good of you to go, and I'm sorry for his loss.

crowd favorites

100 things--thankful

hey, would you like to see the nursery?