your two cents

Yesterday I forgot to mention what made me really nuts. I knew I needed to call the real estate agent to set up an appointment to see the house. It was like calling a blind date. I was nervous and had to psych myself up. How ridiculous is that?

I'm going this evening at 6pm. First, I'll have to do my hair and change clothes nine times.

Anyway, I've never purchased a home before. My credit is quite good. I have a bank and a credit union. I know nothing about home-buying--loans, paperwork, realtors, making offers. A friend told me yesterday that she figured I would know a lot from when my brother bought this house. I talked to him about it last night and he said all he could tell me was that after he signed the papers he felt like he needed to go outside and throw up. Unfortunately, that's the only part that I think will come pretty naturally to me, too.

Any and all advice is welcome. Feel free to comment or e-mail me. (The upcoming post I mentioned this past weekend will have to wait another day. Maybe when there's less to talk about.)

Comments

StaceyG said…
Well, we've bought once, refinanced twice, and are looking again. So, if you need any advice from a semi-old hand, let me know.
nora said…
I am so happy for you. The best advice I can give you is that take your time and don't let the realtor push you into making a decision.
Anonymous said…
All I know (and I have never bought a home so take it for what it's worth) is that the bank/mortgage comapny goes waaaaaaay back to see your payment history on EVERYTHING. And you don't get to decide how much you can afford, they do.

Also, please take into consideration not only the monthly mortgage payment, but the utilities, taxes, association fees and garbage/recycling taxes (if applicable) and money for any emergencies. Gotta be prepared!

Congratualations though. It's so exciting!!!

crowd favorites

100 things--thankful

hey, would you like to see the nursery?