some getting used to


I've been officially off the market for about 3 days now. It's overwhelmingly weird. Don't get me wrong, I really couldn't be happier. Very exciting. Best year ever. But it's weird to think of what this means. And to have and be a fiance. To think about changing my name and combining households. To be able to live with the person I love. All of it.

I've been wearing my mother's ring for about 2 days now. Also weird. It's beautiful and I think it looks good on my skinny little finger. I've put it on briefly in the past just to imagine what it would be like (even well before I met The Fiance) but now it fits me. It's always been Mom's ring, though, and I wonder how long it will take for me to call it mine. When people ask to see it and compliment me on it, I just respond that it was my mother's. I'm not sure why I'm compelled to say that.

And I have no idea why--maybe because my mom wore this ring all day everyday--but when I look at my hand I can see hers despite not sharing any genes. I've thought about how it probably only looked this good right when she received it 46 years ago. I wonder how she felt with it on her finger. I wonder if she had the same hopes. I know she didn't have the same long wedding-planning road ahead of her.

I haven't really cried yet. I've been on the verge of tears several times but they haven't broken through. I know this whole process is going to be overwhelming and I'm going to wish she were here. And I know I'm going to drive everyone insane with my incessant wedding talk. Just tell me when you've had enough. I promise we can talk about something else.

Comments

klm said…
well you are making me all teary!!!
It took me a while to get used to be a fiance too! You will get used to it in no time at all.
Katie Lady said…
Tears are a good thing, don't worry!

And, you know I like to deluge you with advice, so feel free to ask me. I had the best wedding ever (ask anyone!) and it was very low-key and stress-free.....and there were several hundred people there. So yes, you CAN have a big wedding and not stress about it!

Because really, at the end of that wonderful day, the only thing that will matter is that you are married. Everything else is just bonus (and pretty expensive, I might add).

And, my one piece of advice given at this very moment....the best decision is the easy one. Flowers, cake, food, invites, dates, places, etc....the easy choice is most likely going to be the best one anyway, so just go with that and don't stress.

See? I'm good at the advice stuff. :)
angelq said…
Geez, stop with the wedding talk already! hee
On the contrary - I want to hear all about it!!!!!
Patois42 said…
Keep talking, woman. Keep talking.
StaceyG said…
Just wait until you're married and someone calls you "Mrs." for the first time! I guess it all takes some getting used to. But what a wonderful bond between you and your mom.

crowd favorites

100 things--thankful

hey, would you like to see the nursery?